Manager and business executive Mzwandile Masina has affirmed that we cannot stand back and watch as our local actors continue to be exploited.
"Our talented actors are still battling to receive UIF, pension funds, housing allowances, car allowances, medical aid and all other benefits that decent work is supposed to cater for," Mzwandile Masina told reporters in Johannesburg.
"They are categorised, unfortunately, as freelance workers and this is tantamount to labour brokering." He said.
On Tuesday the ANC Youth League met 16 actors from the local soap opera Generations at Luthuli House, the party's Johannesburg headquarters.
The SABC announced on Monday that the actors who had embarked on a strike had been fired.
The announcement drew heavy attention and criticism to viewers. Generations fans expressed their feeling on social media and they were not happy with what fact that 16 Generations actors were fired.
The Generations cast has this week claimed that the broadcaster and production Company had failed to deliver on promises made to them during their strike last year including the promise of a three year contract which they have yet to receive.
They Generation cast also wanted salary adjustments as they felt that they were not getting enough compared to their industry peers. We all know about the open letter that the actors wrote to viewers and fans explaining why they had gone on strike.
Masina said the ANCYL believed local actors should be treated better than Hollywood stars in their own country.
"SABC's refusal to meet these demands because of a pedestrian explanation that these actors want to be paid like Hollywood stars is insulting, to say the least. As a public broadcaster, the SABC has a public duty to create conditions for the development of the local filming industry and the growth of black film producers and actors." He explains.
The ANCYL joined the ANC's call for the ministers of arts and culture, communications, and labour to help resolve the issue.