The announcement of this years’ DStv Delicious Festival that took place at the Kayalami race track came with a lot of fans excited about seeing their favourite local stars by the likes of Tressor, The Soil and Sun El musician making an appearance at the festival, but then there was more hype prior to the show, which was the second coming of international soul singer and writer Erykah Badu.
After disappointedly watching Erykah Badu’s recent performance on a popular YouTube channel I had anticipated her performance at the festival and had my fingers crossed to finally see her perform some of my favourite songs from not just her old, but her recent album Telephone - as a longtime fan of the artist of course.
On Sunday evening, the musician took to the main stage of the festival caressing many audiences with her sexiness, aura and mellifluous vocals
The musician stepped on stage holding an umbrella, dressed in a winter coat, long skirt, her staple long hat, gold rings, beaded bracelets and T-shirt - too hot for the occasion I thought - and had many of the audience unsure about whether they were beholding thee, Erykah Badu, but as the musician went on to reveal her countenance during her performance while singing some of her greatest hits like On and On, Bag Lady, Window Seat and Green Eyes, she had the crowd mesmerized by her suttle stage presence.
Badu's ululating and playing African beats during her performance set the crowd alight and had many of her fans singing along lyric to lyric.
Prior to her performance many other of our local some international artists performing at the event had many of their fans and friends excited throughout the transition of the show.
Here are some of the highlights you might have missed from the event:
- With Tressor being headlined as some of the artists for the festival, he also debuted his new single Silale with The Soil, which saw bring the a cappella group on stage.
- While listening to the audiences commentary during Sun El musician's set, I heard that many had wanted to hear his latest single Sonini, however, were confused when a Lelo Kamau stepped on stage, and as she began to sing many familiarized themselves with the artist as the vocalist on the song.
- Just like one of the most popular events currently embracing expression around in Mzansi, the Dstv Delicious had a lot of celebrities and fans showing off their love for fashion and the culture around the music.
- The Dstv Festival festival is an event that not only celebrated the culture of music but also embraced the love of Food.
Here are more images from the Dstv delicious this past weekend:
- You might also like: Dressed to impress: Celebrities at the DStv Delicious Festival
Main image credit: twitter.com/@amacreatives