Man United in talks with Michael Carrick over two-year head coach deal

Sports

Manchester United are in ongoing discussions with Michael Carrick as they consider turning his interim role into a permanent head coaching position, with talks continuing over the terms of a likely deal.

Carrick’s representatives have been in Manchester this week to negotiate what is expected to be a two-year contract, with an option for an additional season.

United view Carrick as their leading option to replace Ruben Amorim, who was dismissed in January.

Since taking charge on a temporary basis, Carrick has secured victories in 10 of his 15 matches, helping steer United back into the Champions League.

Quick facts

  • United are discussing a permanent appointment for Michael Carrick as head coach.
  • Carrick’s camp has been in Manchester this week for contract talks.
  • The expected structure is a two-year deal, with a further-year option.
  • Carrick has won 10 of 15 games since initially taking over temporarily.
  • He is set to speak to supporters after United’s final home match of the season.
  • United’s last home game is against Nottingham Forest at Old Trafford.

At his news conference, Carrick offered limited insight into his immediate plans, though he indicated a decision is close. He said the timing had been understood for some time, pointing to the period around the end of the season.

“Listen, the future for me is going to be decided pretty soon,” Carrick said. “We knew that was going to be towards the end of the season, if not the end of the season, so nothing’s changed.”

He added: “There’s no big swing on that, that is what it is, and obviously whatever’s beyond that is pretty close round the corner anyway.”

It has also been reported that United have not ruled out the possibility of announcing Carrick’s permanent appointment before Sunday’s home match against Nottingham Forest at Old Trafford.

The fixture represents United’s last home game of the season, and Carrick is expected to address supporters after the final whistle. Whether any confirmation comes before Forest’s visit could hinge on how quickly negotiations move during the next day.

Zibuyile Dladla
Zibuyile Dladla
Senior Writer

Zibuyile began her media journey as a sales intern at Mediamark (Kagiso Media) before moving into digital content creation for ZAlebs.com. Over four years, she helped evolve the platform from a simple blog into one of South Africa’s leading independent entertainment news sites.
Following ZAlebs’ transition to Celebrity Worx in 2016, Zibuyile was promoted to Executive Editor, recognized for her sharp audience insight and ability to match editorial with branded content. Highlights of her time include a Bookmark Award nomination, judging TLC’s Next Great Presenter, reporting from the MTV EMAs, and building partnerships with radio stations like YFM, Cliff Central, and Good Hope FM.
Her editorial work also expanded to include fast-growing digital verticals—such as lifestyle tech, online entertainment, and gambling-related content—tailored to evolving reader interests and brand opportunities.

Zalebs