Nomzamo Mbatha has taken to Twitter to open up about losing her sister, Carla, who passed away in 2014.
She was suffering from depression at the time of her death, and she took her own life.
Depression, as defined by the National Institute of Mental Health (USA), is a serious medical condition in which a person feels very sad, hopeless, and unimportant and often is unable to live in a normal way.
The Umlilo actress started off by sharing that she was at the recent Nicki Minaj concert in Johannesburg, when her friend showed her a girl who's very popular on social media.
Her friend said:
2. "See that girl over there? On the day that Carla was found, she posted saying "RIPCarla, I'm so sad your family never loved you enough.."— Nomzamo (@NomzamoMbatha) March 23, 2016
Nomzamo then highlighted the seriousness of depression.
3. For those who may or may not know, depression is a mental disease. Anyone who is suffering from it can only see darkness and no tomorrow— Nomzamo (@NomzamoMbatha) March 23, 2016
4. When your soulmate takes their own life, you immediately blame yourself.— Nomzamo (@NomzamoMbatha) March 23, 2016
"I could've done more. I should've been home. It's my fault..."
5. With all those feelings of blame, guilt and utter heartbreak that is already self-inflicted.When an outsider says it, you think it's true— Nomzamo (@NomzamoMbatha) March 23, 2016
She then shared her pain.
6. I felt more heartbroken for my aunt who had lost her only child, only for a stranger to announce that "she wasn't loved enough.."— Nomzamo (@NomzamoMbatha) March 23, 2016
7. And then I was broken for myself because Carla's face was the last face I would see before falling asleep, and the very first when I wake— Nomzamo (@NomzamoMbatha) March 23, 2016
11. I'm sharing this for those who have lost loved ones from suicide.— Nomzamo (@NomzamoMbatha) March 23, 2016
It never gets easier. You will blame yourself & others will say things
She also made it clear that depression is not a feeling.
12. But know this, that you loved them FIERCELY and it was not your battle, but theirs.— Nomzamo (@NomzamoMbatha) March 23, 2016
Depression is a DISEASE.. Not a feeling.
Nomzamo revealed that although she's flourishing in her career, she's broken inside.
13. I may be on every social media platform postin about all the wonderful things that I'm achieving.— Nomzamo (@NomzamoMbatha) March 23, 2016
But I am broken. A thousand times over
She's also not going to waste her energy on that girl who chose ignorance when Carla passed away.
16. So what do you say to someone who's never had to go to a funeral house (more than once) to pick a coffin for her sister to lay in..— Nomzamo (@NomzamoMbatha) March 23, 2016
17. I will protect her identity. Watch her rise and succeed. Though she chose not to do the same with my family.— Nomzamo (@NomzamoMbatha) March 23, 2016
It. Is. Well. In. My. Soul
A study done by the University of KwaZulu-Natal researcher, Lourens Schlebusch in 2015, revealed that an estimated 7 582 South Africans commit suicide every year.
If you would like to learn more about depression, please visit the South African Depression and Anxiety Group.
Main image credit: Supplied