Hull vs Middlesbrough Playoff Final Set After Southampton Appeal Rejected

Sports

Hull City are set to face Middlesbrough with a place in the Premier League on the line after Southampton’s appeal was rejected on Wednesday, leaving the club effectively barred from the Championship play-off final over allegations of spying on opponents.

Southampton had been removed from the final on Tuesday and hit with a four-point penalty for the following season after they had already beaten Middlesbrough in the semi-finals, securing their spot in the showpiece match before the disciplinary process concluded.

The English Football League confirmed that the expulsion decision would stand, along with the four-point deduction to be applied to the 2026/27 Championship standings, plus a reprimand covering all charges considered in the case.

The play-off final is scheduled for Saturday at London’s Wembley Stadium, with kick-off set for 3:30pm local time.

Southampton had admitted the offence of illegally observing a rival within 72 hours of a scheduled fixture. The allegation centres on an individual being caught recording a Middlesbrough training session from behind a tree ahead of the first leg of the semi-final tie.

Despite reaching the final on the pitch by overcoming Middlesbrough 2-1 on aggregate, the match was widely viewed as the most lucrative game in global football, with £200 million (US$268.68 million) guaranteed across three seasons. That figure was tied to broadcast income, sponsorship activity and parachute payments.

While Southampton’s chief executive Phil Parsons said the club accepted that sanctions were appropriate, he insisted they could not accept punishment that “bears no proportion to the offence”.

Southampton also acknowledged that they had carried out similar covert filming of training sessions during the regular season, including sessions involving Oxford United in December and Ipswich Town in April.

Middlesbrough had argued that Southampton should be expelled from the final in order to “protect the integrity of the game”, and they warned they would pursue legal action if needed.

In a statement following the ruling, the Saints said it was “an extremely disappointing outcome for everybody connected with Southampton Football Club”.

The club added that it understood how difficult the moment would be for supporters, players, staff, commercial partners and the broader community who had backed the team throughout the campaign, and it offered an apology again to everyone affected.

Southampton concluded by saying the club has a proud history and strong foundations, but that restoring trust must now begin immediately.

Zibuyile Dladla
Zibuyile Dladla
Senior Writer

Zibuyile began her media journey as a sales intern at Mediamark (Kagiso Media) before moving into digital content creation for ZAlebs.com. Over four years, she helped evolve the platform from a simple blog into one of South Africa’s leading independent entertainment news sites.
Following ZAlebs’ transition to Celebrity Worx in 2016, Zibuyile was promoted to Executive Editor, recognized for her sharp audience insight and ability to match editorial with branded content. Highlights of her time include a Bookmark Award nomination, judging TLC’s Next Great Presenter, reporting from the MTV EMAs, and building partnerships with radio stations like YFM, Cliff Central, and Good Hope FM.
Her editorial work also expanded to include fast-growing digital verticals—such as lifestyle tech, online entertainment, and gambling-related content—tailored to evolving reader interests and brand opportunities.

Zalebs