Thousands of supporters packed Tehran’s Enqelab Square on Wednesday night for a World Cup send-off rally, backing the national team despite ongoing uncertainty over whether Iran can reach the United States in time to compete at the tournament.
The squad, who are due to keep preparing at a training camp in Turkey next week, were greeted by chants and cheers as they delivered patriotic remarks from the stage. The kit they will wear at the competition, running from June 11 to July 19, was also unveiled during the event.
“This is the best send-off in the last four World Cup campaigns,” Iranian FA (FFIRI) president Mehdi Taj said on state television.
“The players are with the people, and the crowd stands with the country’s dignity, honour, and strength. Whatever the result, may Iran’s flag be raised there and defended.”
Background to the visa concerns
- Iran’s World Cup participation has been under scrutiny since the U.S. and Israel began a regional war with air strikes on the Islamic Republic in late February.
- Two weeks ago, Taj was denied entry to co-host Canada for the FIFA Congress due to his links with the Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps (IRGC), heightening fears that other members of the Iranian delegation could face issues travelling to the United States.
- In the United States, the IRGC is designated as a “terrorist entity,” and Secretary of State Marco Rubio has said that people with ties to the organisation will not be admitted to the country.
- Iran has said responsibility for bringing the players and team officials into the U.S. rests with the tournament organisers, FIFA.
What was said at the rally
Speaking during Wednesday’s gathering, FFIRI secretary-general Hedayat Mombeini said nothing concrete had been received yet regarding visas, but expressed hope the matter will be resolved within the relevant window.
“Nothing has arrived yet regarding the visas. We hope it will definitely be handled within this timeframe,” Mombeini told state TV.
“FIFA has made promises, and hopefully those promises will lead to results and the players will receive their visas on time.”
Concerns in Iran also intensified after reports emerged on Wednesday that some Iraq players had been turned away for U.S. visas. Those claims were quickly rejected by the White House and by the Iraq Football Association, but the situation still sparked fresh anxiety in Tehran.
“I just heard that news as well,” Mombeini added.
“I hope FIFA steps in … we have always believed sport should be separate from politics. So in my view FIFA has a duty to step in and make sure entry for all members of all World Cup teams is facilitated.”
Preparation plans
With the tournament approaching, Iran are scheduled to face Gambia in a World Cup warm-up match in Antalya on May 29. Mombeini also said the FFIRI is working to set up an additional friendly for the team’s training camp in Turkey.








