Jonathan Ball Publishers Not Withdrawing Unauthorized Siya Kolisi Biography

#SaveSiyasStory

By  | Aug 31, 2020, 12:59 PM  | Rachel Kolisi  | Drama

Rachel Kolisi has come out guns blazing and slammed author Jeremy Daniel and publisher Jonathan Ball Publishers who are behind an unauthorized biography Siya Kolisi: Against All Odds about her rugby player husband.

Read more: A Siya Kolisi Autobiography Is On The Way

The Springbok rugby captain's wife
upon finding out that there is an updated version of the unauthorized book, which was initially released last year during the Rugby World Cup. 

The revised edition has a new cover and chapters on the World Cup as well as the Boks' trophy tour.
 
Upon the book’s initial release, Siya released a statement, letting know that book was published without his consent and was written without his involvement. 

"To clear any confusion, the book published about me with my name on the cover wasn't written by me or produced with my approval or even knowledge," read a tweet on the Springboks Twitter page from Siya.
Now, following the book updated version Rachel, took to Instagram asked South Africans to boycott the unauthorized book as Siya's actual book told by him is on the way.

"Siya has not benefited from this unauthorized book in ANYWAY. And I would appreciate your help on calling this out for what it is. WHITE MEN benefiting off the back of a BLACK MAN," wrote Rachel.
Instagram embed

Rachel
also asked for bookstores and online stores not to support the selling of the unauthorized book. 

Rachel has managed to gather quite the public support behind her plea for people to boycott the unauthorized biography, which according to the law was not illegal for the author to write without Siya’s knowledge or consent. 

Publisher's Jonathan Ball is standing firm and has no intentions of withdrawing the revised edition of the book despite Rachel's plea to #SaveSiyasStory. 

Jeremy Boraine, publishing director at Jonathan Ball confirmed to Sport24 that the book will still appear on bookshelves. 

"We've taken note of their unhappiness though we're not withdrawing the book," he told the publication. 

"As publisher, Jonathan Ball believes we've done nothing wrong," he added.

According to Boraine unauthorised biographies are "hardly unusual" in fact they are a recognised literary genre.

Boraine also told the publications initially there was an engagement between the rugby star and his representatives. 

 "We actually approached him back (in mid-2018) when he was first named Springbok captain. There was a substantial offer on the table, but this was dismissed," he told Sport24. 

Siya last month announced that his autobiography is underway. The book will be written along with the British novelist Boris Starling and it is set to hit shelves in 2021 ahead of the Lions tour to SA next year. 
 
Image credit:  Gallo Images / Sunday Times / John Liebenberg
Read more