Iran Arrives in Turkey for Training Camp as World Cup U.S. Trip Uncertain

Sports

Iran’s men’s national football team arrived in Turkey on Monday for a training camp, setting up the next stage of preparations for a planned World Cup trip to the United States. The trip remains surrounded by uncertainty following attacks on Iran by the U.S. and Israel in late February.

Quick facts

  • Iran landed in Turkey for a training camp on Monday.
  • The team’s World Cup participation is still under question after late-February attacks by the U.S. and Israel.
  • FIFA Secretary-General Mattias Grafstrom said he had a constructive meeting with FFIRI president Mehdi Taj and is confident about Iran’s involvement.
  • Iran’s visa process for the tournament is expected to be handled while the squad is in Turkey.
  • Iran begin Group G play in Los Angeles against New Zealand on June 15.
  • Iran are also set to face Belgium and Egypt in Group G.

FIFA Secretary-General Mattias Grafstrom said on Saturday that he had a constructive, positive discussion with Mehdi Taj, the president of Iran’s football federation (FFIRI). He added that he feels confident about the country taking part in the World Cup.

Players and officials left Antalya Airport in coordinated black team tracksuits, with many carrying black suitcases. They then boarded buses bound for their hotel at the training base in Belek, a nearby resort that has hosted camps for multiple national teams in recent years.

Iran are scheduled to play all three group fixtures in the United States. However, their participation in the tournament running from June 11 to July 19 has been questioned since the U.S. and Israel attacks on Iran earlier this year.

Iranian officials and FIFA have stated that visa applications for the squad will be managed from within Turkey. The lack of clarity intensified after FFIRI president Taj was denied entry to Canada for the FIFA Congress in Vancouver this month, with the refusal linked to his connections to the Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps (IRGC).

The United States and Canada, which are co-hosting the World Cup alongside Mexico, list the IRGC as a “terrorist entity.” They have also indicated they will not grant entry to individuals with links to that military organization.

World Cup venue decision

Iran requested that their World Cup matches be moved to Mexico. FIFA President Gianni Infantino, though, has insisted that all games must be played at the venues originally designated.

The squad is due to relocate to its U.S. base at the Kino Sports Complex in Tucson, Arizona in early June. After that, Iran are set to launch their World Cup campaign against New Zealand in Los Angeles on June 15.

In Group G, Iran are also scheduled to meet Belgium and Egypt during the tournament.

Zibuyile Dladla
Zibuyile Dladla
Senior Writer

Zibuyile began her media journey as a sales intern at Mediamark (Kagiso Media) before moving into digital content creation for ZAlebs.com. Over four years, she helped evolve the platform from a simple blog into one of South Africa’s leading independent entertainment news sites.
Following ZAlebs’ transition to Celebrity Worx in 2016, Zibuyile was promoted to Executive Editor, recognized for her sharp audience insight and ability to match editorial with branded content. Highlights of her time include a Bookmark Award nomination, judging TLC’s Next Great Presenter, reporting from the MTV EMAs, and building partnerships with radio stations like YFM, Cliff Central, and Good Hope FM.
Her editorial work also expanded to include fast-growing digital verticals—such as lifestyle tech, online entertainment, and gambling-related content—tailored to evolving reader interests and brand opportunities.

Zalebs